• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Siv

Siv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I found the following interesting, the UK's oldest mum was 57 when she gave birth, after 3 attempts in an Russian IVF clinic.  Read the fuill story here http://www.telegraph...g-children.html

What do members think about getting pregnant at that age?

I struggle to be fully active at 39 not sure how I would be at 57 looking after a newborn....

#2 pixiepie

pixiepie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't know what to think about that. On one hand, I can't help but be glad for that mom. But I also think there is a reason we stop being able to reproduce at a certain point.

#3 leigha

leigha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Wow! 57 is pretty old to be having a baby. I would never do it! It is really unfair to the child too. I want to see my kids grow up and get to spend time with my grandkids too.

#4 Siv

Siv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Kinda my thoughts also, even if mum lived to be 100 she will miss a lot of the grandchildren.  It seems more unfair on the children than anyone else.  Still shows that technology is advancing and it must give some sort of encouragement to our younger members who are TTC.

#5 SarahJ

SarahJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I would not want to become a parent at 57. At that point in your life, most people's bodies are slowing down and I just can't see someone at 60 wanting to run around and play with an infant/toddler on a regular basis. That in itself is pretty unfair to the child. Chances are she might not even live long enough for the child to become an adult, let alone get married and have children of their own.

#6 Dolce

Dolce

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

I am torn on the age issue. On the one hand I can understand the yearning for a child, and if you are a fit and healthy woman at 57 the hard work may not seem like a burden. However, there are too many negative points for it to be something we should encourage. The social effects on the child, plus the greater risk of becoming ill or dying make it seem a selfish decision.

#7 LauraDrew

LauraDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I think we should be more cognizant of the fact that using science and technology without thinking through all the issues surrounding them will yield unintended consequences. What if this became a regular occurrence? How would that change the world?

#8 Siv

Siv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

Maybe it will become the norm, if we all live to be a 100+ and it looks like that might be possible.  I still don't feel comfortable with it though.

#9 arlene

arlene

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

With the high risk of birth defects at that age, I'm surprised this lady wanted to go through with this.  It appears the baby is healthy but so many things could have gone wrong.  I think she was rather selfish in her decision.

#10 SoftBallMommy

SoftBallMommy

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

I can't even imagine!  My mom is 57 and trying to picture her with another baby, that isn't a grandchild just isn't possible.  I'm 35 now and can't imagine having one at my age, if I feel like I'm too old now, I can't imagine it would be any better when I am older.  There are just too many risks involved that I'm not willing to take with myself or a child.

#11 Callmemom

Callmemom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I honestly can't imagine being pregnant or having a newborn at 57! I am in my early thirties and my kids keep me on my toes all of the time! If I got pregnant somehow at 57 I would certainly keep the baby, but I can't imagine going out and trying to conceive at that age.

#12 Cassie

Cassie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am totally happy for her but it is not something I could do at all. I have too many things going on at my age now so trying to be a mom again pushing retirement age is not something I could handle.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. - Albert Einstein

#13 dinari

dinari

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Good for her if she wanted to have a child.  It's not something I would consider that late in life and probably comes with some health risks younger pregnant women wouldn't have.  I guess if you have the energy and patience to take care of a child at that age then why not?  Maybe there is good longevity in her family.

#14 babyabs

babyabs

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

My mom is 59, so I'm trying to imagine her having a baby at her age. She is great with all of her grandkids and she truly enjoys the time she has with them. However, after a day or two of having one of them, she is completely exhausted! I can't imagine someone that age being able to keep up with the child on a daily basis. It takes a lot of energy to raise a child. But, who knows? Maybe she has been childless throughout her life, and finally had the money for the procedure when she was 57... I don't have any right to judge her motivations, and I'm sure that she is so happy to finally have a child, despite the difficulties.

#15 pearl87

pearl87

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think the said woman is very lucky to have been able to conceive at that age. I also think that there's nothing wrong about parenting a child despite her age. As long as she is capable to take care of the child emotionally and more importantly, financially, I think her motherhood will all be worth it. :)

#16 Emmie

Emmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Before you know it technology will be leaving us in the dust. I think if she can handle it then that is her own choice, it is not one I would make that is for sure. I barely have enough energy now and even gals younger than me wonder how they manage to get by.

#17 pearl87

pearl87

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostEmmie, on 11 November 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Before you know it technology will be leaving us in the dust. I think if she can handle it then that is her own choice, it is not one I would make that is for sure. I barely have enough energy now and even gals younger than me wonder how they manage to get by.

I agree with you with this.

#18 Emma07

Emma07

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I think that the most important is not the ability of woman to conceive in 57 but then to bring up this child.
the reproductive medicine is developing repidly nowadays.
so why not to become mother in 57?
57 is not the limit!
i found the video about 66 years old woman who gave birth to twins!

#19 Rina_Barrowman

Rina_Barrowman

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

View Postleigha, on 24 February 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Wow! 57 is pretty old to be having a baby. I would never do it! It is really unfair to the child too. I want to see my kids grow up and get to spend time with my grandkids too.
On the one hand I agree with you. But on the other hand it is never too late to love, to have children and to be happy

#20 Jessica E

Jessica E

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

That sounds dangerous! Once a woman hits 35 the chances of down syndrome rise significantly as it is. I could see a woman possibly wanting a child at that age if she was never able to have kids before but she is old enough to be her child's grandmother! When the child is growing up and going to school I think it would be akward because all of the other children's parents would be much younger. I had a son at a young age so I was always 10 years or so younger than the other parents and I felt singled out a lot. It was weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!