• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flowerchild

flowerchild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I am in a profession where I see many children on a daily basis.  The names given some of these children make me shake my head and wonder if the parents are literate.  I remember one named Colorada, one named MyKenzie, one named Makalaya and many others that I thought strange.  I really wanted to ask the parents, "can you spell, or did you mean to do this?"

#2 Siv

Siv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

They can't spell is the obvious conclusion.  I also think that basic things should be better taught in the US, if you build a house on weak foundations etc.

#3 Dougie

Dougie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I once met an unfortunate child who had been named by the mother to honor her father who's legal name was Johnny. Since she was a girl, the mother couldn't name her "Jr." so she instead named the child "Johnna Rhea". I really don't have a nasty mind, but say the name quickly and then guess what the children on the playground are going to be calling this poor  little girl.

#4 LauraDrew

LauraDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Actually, it is a trend. People are choosing "creative" spellings in an attempt to make their child's name stand out from the pack. I don't personally care for this trend, though I do share the desire for my children to have names that aren't shared by half their class. And while I am sure it is sometimes a reflection of a lack of spelling skills, more often than not it is intentional.

#5 Dougie

Dougie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

I saw a couple of children in a magazine yesterday who had been named differently from the pack. One was a little girl named "Jurnee" and the other was a little boy named "Trayson". I can see these children having trouble with people who won't be able to spell their names without asking them.

#6 TraceyScafe

TraceyScafe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can spell Canada that is about it! :huh:

#7 Siv

Siv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

US is easier to spell!

#8 amee

amee

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have the same problem. I have went my entire life having to correct people for either the spelling or the pronunciation of my name. My parents felt like being different which is great but I am the one paying for it. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!