8 replies to this topic

#1 sissy48

sissy48

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

I could not believe it when my daughter told me my five year old grandson was going to have to have a root canal done. Why? How? As it turns out, he was premature and the enamel on his teeth never developed adequately, also he has reflux with puts excess acid in his mouth. He had to be put to sleep, of course, to have it done. It took about 90 minutes, and they put sealant on all of his other teeth while he was there. Thank goodness. For some reason, a normal crown would not work, so my little grandbaby now has a silver tooth!

#2 Marie08

Marie08

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Oh, my! I don't think I have ever heard of one so young needing a root canal. Poor little guy. I hope he didn't have too much pain.

Will they do anything for his reflux? That can cause a lot of problems down the road.

#3 Gwen33

Gwen33

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have never heard of a child having a root canal done on baby teeth before. Poor little thing! I hope that the sealer they put on his other teeth will prevent him from ever having to go through that again. My kids have gotten the sealer placed on their molars, which I guess is common now. Do you think as he gets older he will have to have that silver tooth changed out and replaced with a regular crown?

#4 sissy48

sissy48

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

According to the dentist, the silver tooth will go when his permanent tooth comes in. I think this was done to save the tooth that will follow. As to the reflux, yes he is on medication, so hopefully he will be fine down the road.

#5 ThemeMom

ThemeMom

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

A root canal at this age, isn't a true root canal. It's called a pulpectomy, or baby root canal. They kind of core the tooth, not the root itself. It's not nearly as invasive and has far less risks.

#6 Cassie

Cassie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

Does that mean when the child gets older another root canel will be needing along with a full size crown? I had one years ago and I feel like it did more harm than good, but I am pretty sure I had a bad dentist too. :(
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. - Albert Einstein

#7 ThemeMom

ThemeMom

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

No, it should not require any further intervention, unless the current pulpectomy fails somehow. They use the silver crowns because they are strong and cheap, which is important in a child that will lose the tooth in a few years.

The aren't an amalgam, I believe that they are steel.

#8 sissy48

sissy48

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

ThemeMom, you seem to really know this stuff. Everything you said sound exactly right, and I do know my daughter said the silver crown will go when the permanent tooth comes in. I honestly didn't know it wasn't a full root canal, but that certainly makes sense, now that I think about it. Thank you for the clarification!

#9 ThemeMom

ThemeMom

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Unfortunately, my son has very, very bad teeth. He has a condition called amylogenesis imperfecta, which means that his enamel didn't form correctly. It's missing in parts, thin in others, and stained.

It means that we spend more time than most at the dentist, and I'm more familiar than I would like to be with what goes on there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!