4 replies to this topic

#1 amee

amee

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

I know a friend who was not able to take anything over the counter for heartburn and recently I read that things like Tums do not work as good as they did years ago. Have they changed the way they make these or what? Can you get a prescription for heartburn if you are pregnant?

#2 Callmemom

Callmemom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Oh, yes you can definitely get a prescription for heartburn. She can try taking something like Tagamet until she can get a prescription from the doctor.

#3 krisnn

krisnn

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I was not able to get a prescription anything while I was pregnant. I had several ear infections and the doctor would not write me anything. He told me I could only take Tylenol. For heartburn he said I had to take Tums. You are right; they don’t work very well at all. My doctor would never give me anything like Tagamet. I wish he would have. Man, those were the longest nine months of my lifetime (with each pregnancy).

I don’t know why my doctor would not allow me to take anything. He said he did not like pregnant women taking anything other than over-the-counter medications.  I even asked to take Prilosec and he said no.

Your friend should most certainly ask her doctor. Each doctor is different and they all have different opinions on what we can and cannot do or can and cannot take. My best friend is pregnant right now and she is going through the same thing. Her doctor won’t let her take anything but Tums. Tums made me sick when I took them. The consistency of the tablet made me want to puke. I hear they are better now. My friend said they are like a Sweet-Tart candy.

I still get heartburn now and it has been a while since I have been pregnant. I now take Pepcid Complete. She should ask her doctor about that one too. It is the best one on the market if you ask me. Maybe she will get lucky and her doctor will say it is no big deal. I remember a friend of mine was pregnant the same time I was and she was taking something stronger than I was. I asked my doctor and he told me that if I took it I could switch to her doctor.

#4 Emmie

Emmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

It seems like there is a prescription for everything these days. I am still amazed at how many over the counter but "doctor prescribed" things I am on just for allergies. Non require a trip to the pharmacist but it is still a pain to deal with.

#5 Kasey

Kasey

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

View Postamee, on 13 November 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I know a friend who was not able to take anything over the counter for heartburn and recently I read that things like Tums do not work as good as they did years ago. Have they changed the way they make these or what? Can you get a prescription for heartburn if you are pregnant?

I don't know if they've changed Tums or not; I'm pretty sure it's just chewable calcium, though. For some people, it will work great, but not so much for others. It never did a whole lot for me, either. I pretty much just had to 'grin and bear it'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!