1 reply to this topic

#1 Marie08

Marie08

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

My niece is trying to decide whether to have natural childbirth or a Caesarean section. Her doctor has told her that she can choose. I have been trying to help her weigh the pros and cons. She is in her seventh month of pregnancy.

From what I remember of mine, recovering from an episiotomy is not very pleasant at all. The stitches bothered me horribly, being in such a delicate area, and the itching as it healed was maddening. It hurt for quite a long time especially during sex. I haven't had a C-section so I cannot give her any advice that compares one to the other.

The doctor told her that episiotomies used to be routine, but now they will only do one if it is necessary. They have done research and have discovered that it wasn't solving the issues episiotomies were being done to prevent. It was thought that it would prevent problems with the bladder and rectum being displaced. They also thought a clean, straight cut would be better than a tear in the vagina. Much of the time the cut they make is larger than any tear that may happen naturally. It may take weeks to recover from the incision and there is going to be a risk of infection since the incision is in an area that naturally has a lot of bacteria. I remember having a lot of Sitz baths.

Her only fear about having a C-section is how the scarring will look. I don't think that would be much of an issue since they are usually below the bikini line. The doctor said that since this area stays much drier, the healing time should be quicker with less chance of infection. My niece is more afraid of the episiotomy than the C-section.

Does anyone have any episiotomy stories to tell? How long did it take you to heal? Did you have any problems resuming sex? What was your pain level like?

#2 Jude

Jude

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sitz baths are wonderful things.  My episiotomy was typical and was actually helpful as the first son weighed in at 8lbs and 9ozs.  He was a big boy.  I healed normally with no complications and resumed life as normal as soon as the doctor said it was O.K.  No problems here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!