6 replies to this topic

#1 Callmemom

Callmemom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

My four year old knows all of her letters and how they sound so I feel like she is ready to learn to read. Do we have any home school moms or teachers here who can tell me how to proceed?

#2 Cinco

Cinco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Why don't you start with some of those books that have two and three letter words? Or maybe flash cards? I think the School Store sells a lot of homeschooling aids like that.

#3 InWaiting

InWaiting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

The best thing I have seen for toddlers learning to read is the Leap Frog Tag system. It really does help. It reads the books to them while encouraging them to read along by sounding out words.

#4 Kinzmom

Kinzmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Leapfrog is a great product. It is fun and educational. I would suggest one of those. How about books like The Cat in the Hat. They are easy to use.

#5 daddys_girls

daddys_girls

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

There are so many products out on the market it is almost overwhelming. I think the sooner you start to read the better. I have no issues breaking out a book and having a little tot follow my finger across the words as I read outloud. More parents should start doing this.

#6 frumpymama

frumpymama

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't see any reason to not start young. My older sibling really got me into books at an early age, I think because she just did not feel like reading herself. Now I am the bookworm of the family and one day hope to have a mini library in my home.

#7 Gwen33

Gwen33

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

Flash cards are a great way to start learning how to read. I did that with all three of my children and they are reading at or above their grade level now. Another thing that I found that helps is Hooked on Phonics, they have an excellent program for children who are struggling with phonic sounds. This program really helped my son out a lot. Another thing to look for are books that have a lot of word repetition and rhyming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!