6 replies to this topic

#1 Callmemom

Callmemom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Leg cramps were something that I had serious issues with during my pregnancy and I still do occasionally. I was doing some research the other day and found some "home remedies". One was to drink pickle juice, and another was to rub liquid soap into the muscle that is cramping. I tried the soap trick and it did work! Since my leg cramps didn't start until I was pregnant I thought some of you ladies might like the tip! :)

#2 megsforreal

megsforreal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

I've never heard the liquid soap trick. That is very interesting! I've heard eating a banana before bed and I've heard of drinking a glass of milk before you retire. But the remedy I've heard the most is to take some magnesium supplements.

#3 Cinco

Cinco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I had always heard to eat more bananas if your legs tend to cramp a lot. I guess the potassium is supposed to help. I'm guessing pickle juice helps because of the high sodium content. I wonder why liquid soap works, though. Either way, I will definitely make a note of it!

#4 Janna

Janna

Advanced Member

• New members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

My husband has suffered from severe leg cramps since he was in his teens so this is something I have done a lot of research on. I have a LOT of home remedies to offer, but let me just say up front that none of them work every single time. All of them have worked occasionally, but at least for my hubby there is no “cure all”.  Let me also add that he has been to the doctor, he has had all of the blood tests, and tried most of the medications. In his case there were no vitamin deficiencies and thus far we have found no medical cause.

Drinking pickle juice does work and the reason it is thought to work is that it quickly corrects an electrolyte imbalance. Liquid soap rubbed into the cramp or bar soap held up against the muscle that is cramping can help. Some people even put a bar of soap under the fitted sheet on the mattress and swear by it.  Eating more bananas and staying hydrated can help prevent muscle cramps, but they aren’t going to help you when you are actually having one.

Rubbing Vick’s VaporRub onto the muscle that is cramping can occasionally give you immediate relief.  I have heard that this can be done with any kind of ointment that has a mentholated base (Icy Hot, Asper Cream, arthritis gels) but we have always just used the Vick’s.  There are also stretching exercises that you can try. Put a towel or sheet in the arch of your foot and tug upwards with the sheet on both sides.

I would be very interested to hear others remedies for leg cramps. My husband has them at least four nights a week. I can’t tell you how many times he has awakened me in the middle of the night crying out trying to straighten his leg before it locked.

#5 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Janna, I feel sorry for your husband.  Leg cramps are awful and I can't imagine dealing with them so frequently.

Personally I always start eating bananas when I have leg cramps and that helps reduce the frequency.  I massage and walk the cramps out whenever I actually have them.

#6 Nora

Nora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have had this off and on through my entire life, the doctor swears my circulation is fine but I beg to differ. Just last week I was exercising and somehow managed to also pull a front leg muscle. I never even noticed that I had these (and they worked), al weekend I was stuck with right leg pain from that and cramping in both.

#7 bubs

bubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

I had leg cramps often. I call them charlie horses. I started eating dill pickles daily about six months ago. I haven't had many cramps since I started eating them. Something about potassium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!