2 replies to this topic

#1 pixiepie

pixiepie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

At my last appointment they mentioned when my screening will be scheduled. I have a bit of irrational fear that I will fail it. I don't want to have to go on the diet. I have a hard enough time figuring out what to eat every day without having to be on a strict diet! Is it really hard to follow? How common is GD? Am I crazy to be worried about it?

#2 momma-dee

momma-dee

• New members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Have you had gestational diabetes with past pregnancies or is there a history of diabetes in your family? You seem irrationally afraid of it, almost phobic, and that's not a good thing. Panicking over something that hasn't even happened and may not ever happen is too much anxiety for you right now. Those stress hormones created by your high anxiety levels affect your baby, at least temporarily.

Even if you do develop gestational diabetes, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to adhere to a super strict diet for the remainder of your pregnancy. Yes, some changes might be needed, but it's rarely the stringent diet often recommended for full-blown diabetes. The main thing will be to eat six mini-meals per day in order to spread out your sugar intake, lower your simple carbohydrate intake and increase your protein intake. These things keep your blood sugar levels more stable.

The risks to a baby born to an untreated mother with gestational diabetes makes this something that should never be ignored, though. If you develop this condition and fail to treat it properly, as your doctor recommends, it can result in an over-sized baby. This often necessitates a C-section delivery. The baby may also be premature due to mom's high blood sugar. Premature babies often have respiratory distress syndrome as their lungs aren't fully developed yet.

The most serious risk is that the baby develops seriously low blood sugar right after birth. This happens because the baby is producing too much insulin to deal with mom's blood sugar levels, but when born, this insulin is far too much for their little body. These babies need to be fed right away or even given an IV glucose solution to quickly level their blood sugars. If not treated promptly, or if the levels go dangerously low, a baby can have seizures.

#3 AlonzosSa

AlonzosSa

• New members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Has anyone dealt with these two before?  Im 29 weeks and just got diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My hg is manageable, but with this pregnancy I feel not well and tired a lot more than before. I have three kids 2, 4, 7. I had hg with all three of their pregnancies, but this is the first time diabetes had entered the mix. Thanks

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the best software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!