2 replies to this topic

#1 LauraDrew

LauraDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

I was talking with a friend of mine who had pre-term labor with her first baby. She was put on medication and bed rest. She later found out that the medications she was on caused a permanent health problem.

Then, to add insult to injury, she discovered that the medications she had been on for weeks have not been shown to work to stop contractions past the first 48 hours. So all the weeks after that she was on those medicines, they were likely not necessary.

I had no idea that those medicines to stop contractions have not been shown to be effective after the firs few days. Am I alone in my shock?

#2 Shanda

Shanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

What medication was it?  I don't know too much about preterm labor but I don't remember hearing of using medication to stop labor for that length of time.

#3 LauraDrew

LauraDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

My friend was on a terbutaline pump. Terbutaline is actually an asthma medication. The FDA came out against it for uses longer than 72 hours in 2011, but my friend found plenty of information indicating it was well-known to be a problem long before that. From what I understand, it has been used routinely for long-term use in pre-term labor cases in a lot of areas. I don't understand how something that is known to be risky and not shown to be helpful can become a routine treatment response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our community is dedicated to creating the perfect board to discuss just about anything that is family related. If you are planning to start a family or have concerns about any aspect of pregnancy then you will always find like minded members who have gone through that experience already.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and remember to read our guideline and please respect that we are not a place for the promotion of third party websites or services. Our moderating team checks all posts continually.

INFORMATION

Contact Us
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
About Us

YOUR ACCOUNT

Create an Account

JOIN OUR FORUM!

1,000's of Moms talking about babies!